Graduating with the Skills They Need
For those of you who don’t know, we have a foreman apprenticeship program in which we teach the necessary construction and leadership skills to enter the profession. This month, our two apprentices graduated from the program! Our two graduates were Jesús in Reynosa, who learned under Angel, Lupe and Julio, and Cristian in Miguel Alemán, who learned under Luz. We are so proud of both of them!
Back to School
Both in the U.S. and Mexico, kids headed back to the classroom last week, and we wish all of them the best of luck. To the 165 students in our scholarship program, going back to school means the opportunity to work hard and achieve their dreams with the encouragement and financial help of their sponsors. Even though education is “free” in Mexico, there are many costs like uniforms, books, transportation, food and more that put a heavy burden on families and make it difficult to send their children to school. We are so proud of each of the students in our scholarship program, including the 17 students starting high school and the nine students starting college; both of these are major accomplishments for youth in our area of Mexico.
If you’re interested in helping a child in Mexico achieve his or her dreams, click to learn more!
Celebrating National Nonprofit Day
August 17 was National Nonprofit Day, which commemorates the day when tax exemptions for nonprofits and charitable organizations were signed into law. We celebrate all of the nonprofits around the globe doing great work each and every day, and we thank each of you for being part of the Faith Ministry family and for making a difference on the border in Mexico.
We want even more people to hear about Faith Ministry so that we may be able to serve even more families in need in Mexico. Here’s how you can help:
2. Start a fundraiser on Facebook
It’s so easy to raise funds on Facebook, and it will not only get the word out about Faith Ministry, but it will also financially support the work we’re doing. To create a fundraiser, click here and click “+ Raise Money.”
3. Sign up to donate monthly & encourage a friend to do the same
Monthly donations are absolutely crucial to the work we do in Mexico. You can easily sign up to have a donation automatically deducted from your credit card each month; even better, get a family member or friend on board to do the same! Double the donation, double the blessings for families here in Mexico. To sign up, click here.
We believe in the power of prayer, so please join us in praying for:
- Praise! Our founder Deantin has been dealing with various health issues, including a cancer diagnosis and shoulder pain. He has been feeling better and has been getting positive reports from his doctors, so we thank God for that! Deantin also celebrated his birthday this month; we are so grateful for his dedication, faith and vision to start this ministry. Happy birthday, Deantin!
- Ezequiel, our retired foreman, and his wife Petra still need our prayers. Petra continues to slowly recover after a stroke several months ago, and Ezequiel is her sole caretaker, while also dealing with his own health issues. Pray for her recovery and for him, that God might give them both strength and good health!
- Dora, our caretaker in Reynosa, continues to recover from her fall in February. Her fractured wrist is taking a long time to heal, and we are ready to have her back with us! Pray for her as she continues to recover.
“Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.”
On the Blog
Written by Luke, one of our summer interns:
“A trip to Reynosa is an opportunity, for one week, to free yourself of all the distractions that get in between us and God and live a life that is truly life. A life where the only purpose is to do God’s work, to love your neighbor, and of course, to eat some truly amazing food.”